This chapter provides an introduction to the economic concepts related to fossil fuel supply. The chapter presents a typical chain of activities in the fossil fuel supply, namely exploration, development and production and discusses the relevant economic decision-making issues for each activity. It also considers the influence of government intervention on the investment decisions through fiscal instruments.
KeywordsExploration Production Development Resources and reserves Rent Investment decisions
- Crooks, E., & Ward, A. (2017). Oil and gas discoveries dry up to lowest total for 60 years. Financial Times, February 12, 2017. Retrieved July 10, 2018 from https://www.ft.com/content/441d0184-f13f-11e6-8758-6876151821a6.
- Devarajan, S., & Fisher A. C. (1981). Hotelling’s Economics of Exhaustible Resources: Fifty Years Later, Journal of Economics Literature, XIX, 65–73.Google Scholar
- Erbach, G. (2014). Unconventional oil and gas in North America: The impact of shale gas and tight oil on the US and Canadian economies and on global energy flows. Brussels: European Parliamentary Research Service, European Union. Retrieved July 10, 2018 from http://www.europarl.europa.eu/RegData/bibliotheque/briefing/2014/140815/LDM_BRI(2014)140815_REV1_EN.pdf.
- EY. (2017). Unconventional oil and gas in a carbon constrained world: A review of the environmental risks and future outlook for unconventional oil and gas. London: Ernst & Young. Retrieved July 10, 2018 from https://www.klp.no/polopoly_fs/1.38621.1509968953!/menu/standard/file/UnconventionalOilAndGasInaCarbonConstrainedWorld-September2017.pdf.
- Fisher, A. C., (1981) Resource and Environmental Economics (Chapter 2). London: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Hannesson, R. (1998). Petroleum economics: Issues and strategies of oil and natural gas production. London: Quorum Press.Google Scholar
- IEA (2013). Resources to reserves: Oil, gas and coal technologies for the energy markets of the future. Paris: International Energy Agency. Retrieved July 10, 2018 from https://www.iea.org/publications/freepublications/publication/Resources2013.pdf.
- Johnston, D. (1998). International petroleum fiscal systems and production sharing contracts. Tulsa, Oklahoma: Pennwell Books.Google Scholar
- Krautkraemer, J. A. (1998). Non-renewable resource scarcity. Journal of Economic Literature, December(1998), Vol. XXXVI, 2065–2107.Google Scholar
- Nakhle, C. (2009). Petroleum taxation, Chapter 17. In J. Evans & L. C. Hunt (Eds.), 2009, International handbook on the economics of energy. Cheltenham, UK: Edward Elgar.Google Scholar
- Osmundsen, P., Rosendahl, K. E., & Skjerpen, T. (2012). Understanding rig rates. Discussion Paper 696. Oslo: Statistics Norway. Retrieved July 10, 2018 from https://www.ssb.no/a/publikasjoner/pdf/DP/dp696.pdf.
- Percebois, J. (1989). Economie de l’Energie. Paris: Economica.Google Scholar
- US DOE. (2015). Oil and Gas technologies: Subsurface science, technology and engineering, supplemental information, Chapter 7: Advancing systems and technologies to produce cleaner fuels. Washington DC: US Department of Energy. Retrieved July 10, 2018 from https://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2016/05/f32/Ch.7-SI-Oil-and-Gas-Technologies.pdf.
- Van Meurs, P. (2008). Government take and petroleum fiscal regimes. Report for Kurdistan Regional Government of Iraq. www.krg.org/…/Government_Take_and_Petroleum_Fiscal_Regimes__2008_06_30_h14m7s53.doc.
- WEC. (2016a). World energy resources 2016. London: World Energy Council. Retrieved July 10, 2018 from https://www.worldenergy.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/World-Energy-Resources-Full-report-2016.10.03.pdf.
- WEC. (2016b). World energy resources 2016: Coal. London: World Energy Council.Google Scholar
- Adelman, M. A. (1990, February) Mineral depletion with special reference to petroleum. The Review of Economics and Statistics LXXII(1).Google Scholar
- Adelman, M. A. (1993). The economics of petroleum supply. London: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Adelman, M. A. (1995). The Genie out of the bottle–world oil since 1970. London: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Dahl, C. (2015). International energy markets: Understanding pricing, policies and profits. Tulsa: Pennwell Books.Google Scholar
- Johnston, D., & Johnston, D. (2002). Economic modelling and risk analysis handbook. Dundee: CEPMLP.Google Scholar
- World Coal Institute. (2005). The coal resource: A comprehensive overview of coal. London: World Coal Institute.Google Scholar