Innovation in Pressure Ulcer Prevention and Treatment
Innovation in guideline development.
New perspectives on pressure ulcer aetiology.
Innovation in public health systems.
Innovation in clinical services.
Innovation in emerging therapies, and
Next steps for new innovations in pressure area care.
The chapter closes with a discussion of the role of specialist wound centres such as the Welsh Wound Innovation Centre. WWIC considers that a system approach to value based pressure area care could have significant impact across the health economy through a focus upon three key areas—improved prevention, early intervention and optimisation of care and finally enhanced access to specialist care.
KeywordsInnovation Improvement Value based pressure area care
- 1.https://www.freshconsulting.com/what-is-innovation/. Accessed 3 Mar 2018.
- 2.Obama B. Business week’s “In” subsection. 2007. p. 6. https://www.degruyter.com/downloadpdf/j/rem.2016.8.issue-1/rem-2016-0001/rem-2016-0001.pdf. Accessed 3 Mar 2018.
- 3.National Pressure Ulcer Advisory Panel, European Pressure Ulcer Advisory Panel and Pan Pacific Pressure Injury Alliance. In: Haesler E, editor. Prevention and treatment of pressure ulcers: quick reference guide. Osborne Park: Cambridge Media; 2014.Google Scholar
- 4.European Pressure Ulcer Advisory Panel and National Pressure Ulcer Advisory Panel. Prevention and treatment of pressure ulcers: quick reference guide. Washington, DC: National Pressure Ulcer Advisory Panel; 2009.Google Scholar
- 8.http://www.wales.nhs.uk/sitesplus/863/page/65480. Accessed 3 Mar 2018.
- 12.Janssen T, de Koning A, Legemate K, Smit C. Electrical stimulation-induced gluteal and hamstring muscle activation can reduce sitting pressure in individual with a spinal cord injury. Assist Technol Res Ser. 2010:332–4.Google Scholar
- 15.Santamaria N, Liu W, Gerdtz M, Sage S, McCann J, Freeman A, Vassiliou T, DeVincentis S, Ng AW, Manias E, Knott J, Liew D. The cost-benefit of using soft silicone multi-layered foam dressings to prevent sacral and heel pressure ulcers in trauma and critically ill patients: a within-trial analysis of the Border Trial. Int Wound J. 2015;12(3):344–50.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 20.Forni C, D’Alessandro F, Gallerani P, Genco R, Bolzon A, Bombino C, Mini S, Rocchegiani L, Notarnicola T, Vitulli A, Amodeo A, Celli G, Taddia P. Effectiveness of using a new polyurethane foam multi-layer dressing in the sacral area to prevent the onset of pressure ulcer in the elderly with hip fractures: A pragmatic, randomised controlled trial. Int Wound J. 2018. https://doi.org/10.1111/iwj.12875.
- 22.Clark M, Fallon M, Harding KG. Innovating wound care. Health Europa Quarterly. 2018. https://www.healtheuropa.eu/health-europa-quarterly-04/83792/. Accessed 3 Mar 2018.