Echocardiography of the Mitral and Tricuspid Valves
Normal function of the mitral valve depends on the complex interaction between the leaflets, annulus, subvalvular apparatus (chordae tendineae and papillary muscles) and left ventricle. Echocardiography is the imaging technique of choice to systematically demonstrate anatomical, physiological and pathological aspects of the entire mitral valve complex. It assesses the mitral valve in the beating heart under physiologic loading conditions, as opposed to surgical assessment that is performed on the arrested heart. In addition, quantitative analysis can be performed on frozen frames throughout the cardiac cycle.
KeywordsTrans-thoracic echocardiography Trans-oesophageal echocardiography Doppler Three-dimensional echocardiography M-mode echocardiography Vena contracta Proximal isovelocity surface area (PISA) Apical views Parasternal views Mid-oesophageal views Trans-gastric views
- Hahn RT, Abraham T, Adams MS, Bruce CJ, Glas KE, Lang RM, Reeves ST, Shanewise JS, Siu SC, Stewart W, Picard MH. Guidelines for performing a comprehensive transesophageal echocardiographic examination: recommendations from the American Society of Echocardiography and the Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2013;26(9):921–64.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lancellotti P, Moura L, Pierard LA, Agricola E, Popescu BA, Tribouilloy C, Hagendorff A, Monin JL, Badano L, Zamorano JL. European Association of Echocardiography recommendations for the assessment of valvular regurgitation. Part 2: mitral and tricuspid regurgitation (native valve disease). Eur J Echocardiogr. 2010;11:307–32.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lancellotti P, Tribouilloy C, Hagendorff A, Popescu BA, Edvardsen T, Pierard LA, Badano L, Zamorano JL. Scientific Document Committee of the European Association of Cardiovascular Imaging. Recommendations for the echocardiographic assessment of native valvular regurgitation: an executive summary from the European Association of Cardiovascular Imaging. Eur Heart J Cardiovasc Imaging. 2013;14(7):611–44.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lang RM, Badano LP, Mor-Avi V, Afilalo J, Armstrong A, Ernande L, Flachskampf FA, Foster E, Goldstein SA, Kuznetsova T, Lancellotti P, Muraru D, Picard MH, Rietzschel ER, Rudski L, Spencer KT, Tsang W, Voigt JU. Recommendations for cardiac chamber quantification by echocardiography in adults: an update from the American society of Echocardiography and the European Association of Cardiovascular Imaging. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2015;28:1–39.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zoghbi WA, Adams D, Bonow RO, Enriquez-Sarano M, Foster E, Grayburn PA, Hahn RT, Han Y, Hung J, Lang RM, Little SH, Shah DJ, Shernan S, Thavendiranathan P, Thomas JD, Weissman NJ. Recommendations for noninvasive evaluation of native valvular regurgitation: a report from the American Society of Echocardiography developed in collaboration with the Society for Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2017;30(4):303–71.CrossRefGoogle Scholar