A Safety Critical Computer System in a Railway Application
This paper describes a safety critical computer system used for automatic train control. It has been developed during the last three years and is currently in the phase of final testing and validation. After a short system overview, the paper will concentrate on safety aspects in system design and on the description of the verification and validation process that was chosen. This specifically includes the problems and aspects of the selection of applicable norms, the definition of a validation and verification plan and the upper levels of verification.
Keywordsautomatic train control verification validation plan fault tree analyses risk assessment design rules
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R.I.A 23, Draft, Standard for Safety Related Software for Railways (Signalling), Version 1.0, Issued 23 January 1991Google Scholar
- 2.DIN V 19250, Grundlegende Sicherheitsbetrachtungen für MSR Schutzeinrichtungen, Vornorm, Januar 1989Google Scholar
- 3.DIN V VDE 0801, Grundsätze für Rechner in Systemen mit Sicherheitsaufgaben, Vornorm, Januar 1990Google Scholar
- 4.Draft IEC SC65A WG9, Software for Computers in the Application of Industrial Safety-Related Systems, 1989Google Scholar
- 5.Draft IEC SC65A WG10, Functional Safety of Electrical/Electronic/Programmable Electronic Systems: Generic Aspects, Part 1: General Requirements, 1989Google Scholar