Some Advanced Features Of Cc's Poweranswer
Key factors determining the accuracy and usefulness of a question answering system span across several dimensions: depth of linguistic techniques, ability to answer general or domain-specific questions, coverage of textual and other multimedia document sources, support for static local collections and dynamic collections like the Web. This chapter illustrates how advanced features can be added to LCC’s state-of-the-art question answering system to support a wide range of questions along all these dimensions. The impact of each feature is assessed by extracting answers from large text collections and from Web documents.
KeywordsParse Tree Question Answering Exact Answer Answer Type Question Answering System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Brill, E., Banko, M., Dumais, S. and Ng., A. (2001). Data-intensive question answering. In Proceedings of the 10th Text Retrieval Conference (TREC - 2001), Gaithersburg, Maryland. NIST.Google Scholar
- Brin, S. and Page, L. (1998). The anatomy of large scale hypertextual Web search engine. In 7 th International World Wide Web Conference, Brisbane, Australia.Google Scholar
- Fellbaum, C. (1998). WordNet: An Electronic Lexical Database and Some of its Applications. MIT Press.Google Scholar
- Jansen, B. (2000). The effect of query complexity on Web searching results. Information Research, 6(1), October.Google Scholar
- Lin, C.Y. (2002) . The effectiveness of dictionary and web-based answer reranking. In Proceedings of the 19 th International Conference on Computational Linguistics (COLING-2002), Taipei, Taiwan, August.Google Scholar
- Moldovan, D., Novischi, A. (2002). Lexical chains for questions. In Proceedings of the 19 th International Conference on Computational Linguistics (COLING-2002), Taipei, Taiwan, August.Google Scholar
- Moldovan, D., Rus, V. (2001). Logic form transformations of wordnet and its applicability to question answering. In Proceedings of the 39 th Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational linguistics (ACL-2001), Toulouse, France, July.Google Scholar
- Moldovan, D., Paşca, M., Harabagiu, S. and Surdeanu, M. (2002). Performance issues and error analysis in an open-domain question answering system. In Proceedings of the 40 th Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics (ACL-2002), Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, July.Google Scholar
- Moldovan, D., Clark, C., Harabagiu, S. and Maiorano, S. (2003). COGEX: A logic prover for questions answering. In Proceedings of the Human Language Technology Conference, Edmonton, Canada, May.Google Scholar
- Paşca, M. (2001a). High-Performance, Open-Domain Question Answering from Large Text Collections. Ph.D. Thesis, Southern Methodist University, Dallas Texas, December. Google Scholar
- Paşca, M., (2001b). Unveiling next generation search technologies: Answer extraction on the Web. In Proceedings of the 2 nd International Conference on Internet Computing (IC-01), Las Vegas, Nevada, June.Google Scholar
- Paşca, M., (2002). Processing definition questions in an open-domain question answering system. In 2002 AAAI Spring Symposium Series, Stanford, California, March.Google Scholar
- Sullivan, D. (2002). Search engine sizes. http://www.searchenginewatch.com.
- Voorhees, E.M. (1999). The TREC-8 Question Answering track report. In Proceedings of the 8 th Text Retrieval Conference (TREC-8), Gaithersburg, Maryland. NIST.Google Scholar
- Voorhees, E.M. (2002). Overview of the TREC-2002 Question Answering track. In Proceedings of the 11 th Text Retrieval Conference (TREC-8), Gaithersburg, Maryland. NIST.Google Scholar
- Weischedel, R., Moldovan, D. and Paşca, M. (2002). Overview of the Aquaint definition pilot evaluation. In J. Prange, editor, AQUAINT Program Phase I Mid-year Workshop, Arlington, Virginia, December. Advanced Research and Development Activity (ARDA). http://www.ic-arda.org/InfoExploit /aquaint.
- Extended WordNet (2003). Available at http://xwn.hlt.utdallas.edu.