Two Centuries of Arab Economic Relations with the West: 1798–1997
I am very grateful to be asked to give a lecture which carries such an illustrious name. I first came across George Antonius’s famous book The Arab Awakening, in its Arabic translation, when I was nineteen. I had just joined the Baath Party which, I must say, was a very different thing at that time from what it is now. We were only three or four Egyptian members of the party at the time, and we were given free copies of George Antonius’s book, and asked to read it as an essential part of the education of young Arab nationalists. And indeed it was.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Lord Cromer: Ancient and Modern Imperialism, New York: Longman, 1910, p. 113, quoted in Charles Issawi, An Economic History of the Middle East and North Africa, London: Methuen, 1982, p. 13.Google Scholar
- 2.Owen, R.: The Middle East in the World Economy: 1800–1914, London: Methuen, 1981, p. 25.Google Scholar
- 9.Amin, G.: The Arab East and the West (Arabic), Centre for Arab Unity Studies, Beirut, 1979.Google Scholar
- 12.Issawi, Charles, ‘Middle East Economic Development 1815–1914: The General and the Specific’, in M. A. Cook, Studies in the Economic History of the Middle East, London: Oxford University Press, 1970, p. 408.Google Scholar
- 13.Ibid., pp. 409–10, see also Issawi, Charles: The Middle East Economy: Decline and Recovery, Princeton: Markus Wiener Publishers, 1995, p. 25.Google Scholar
- 17.Janet Abu-Lughod: Cairo: One Thousand Years of the City Victorious, Princeton: Princeton University Press, 1971. See also G. Amin, ‘Evolution and Shifts in Egypt’s Economic Policies in Search of a Pattern’, in S. Ibrahim, A. Onchu and C. Keyder, Developmentalism and Beyond, Cairo: American University in Cairo Press, 1994.Google Scholar
- 18.See D. Seers, ‘Rich Contents and Poor’, in D. Seers and L. Joy, Development in a Divided World, Harmondsworth: Penguin Books, 1971, pp. 15–16.Google Scholar
- 19.A. Al-Nasrawi, The Iraqi Economy: 1950–2010, (in Arabic) Beirut: Dar Al-Konouz, 1995, p. 110.Google Scholar
- 20.Al-Nasrawi, op. cit., p. 161.Google Scholar
- 21.Sadowski, Y.: Scuds or Butter: the Political Economy of Arms Control in the Middle East, Washington, DC: The Brookings Institution, 1993, p. 21.Google Scholar
- 22.Ibid., p. 75.Google Scholar
- 23.Ibid., p. 20.Google Scholar