The Solomon Islands were discovered by Europeans in 1568 but 200 years passed before contact was made again. The southern Solomon Islands were placed under British protection in 1893; the eastern and southern outliers were added in 1898 and 1899. Santa Isabel and the other islands to the north were ceded by Germany in 1900. Full internal self-government was achieved on 2 Jan. 1976 and independence on 7 July 1978.
KeywordsPrime Minister Solomon Island Democratic Party Provincial Centre Customary Land
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bennett, J. A., Wealth of the Solomons: A History of a Pacific Archipelago, 1800–1978. 1987Google Scholar
- Fraenkel, Jonathan, Manipulation of Custom: From Uprising to Intervention in the Solomon Islands. 2005Google Scholar
- White, Geoffrey M., Identity Through History: Living Stories in a Solomon Islands Society. 2003Google Scholar
- National Statistical Office: Solomon Islands National Statistical Office, PO Box G6, Department of Finance, Honiara.Google Scholar
- Website: http://www.spc.int/prism/country/sb/stats