A (Gentle) introduction to deductive databases
This paper is intended as an introduction to deductive databases for the practitioner. After a brief historical overview it discusses the tradeoff between declarative and procedural programming and introduces the topic of deductive databases as an instance of this issue. The paper proceeds to expose some of the features of DD technology by means of the LDL system, shows some typical DD applications and concludes with a discussion of the state of the art and the relation of this technology to that of Object Oriented systems.
KeywordsQuery Language Procedural Programming Query Form Deductive Database Object Orient System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Cacace, F., S. Ceri, S. Crespi-Reghizzi, L. Tanca, and R. Zicari . Integrating object-oriented data modelling with a rule-based paradigm, TR-90.008 Dipartimento Di Elettronica, Polytechnic University of Milan.Google Scholar
- 2.Lefebre, A., and L. Vielle . “On deductive query evaluation in the DedGin system,” Proc. First International Conf. on deductive and Object-Oriented Databases, Kyoto.Google Scholar
- 3.Naqvi, S. and S. Tsur . A Logical Language for Data and Knowledge Bases. Computer Science Press, New York, NY.Google Scholar
- 4.Phipps, G. . “GLUE: a deductive database programming language,” Proc. NACLP Workshop on Deductive Databases (J. Chomicki, ed.), Aug. 1990.Google Scholar
- 5.Phipps, G., M.A. Derr, and K.A. Ross . “Glue-Nail: a deductive database system,” ACM SIGMOD International Conf. on Management of Data, pp. 308–317.Google Scholar
- 6.Ramakrishnan, R. . “The CORAL deductive database system,” Proc. NACLP Workshop on Deductive Databases (J. Chomicki, ed.), Aug. 1990.Google Scholar
- 7.Tsur, S . “Deductive Databases in Action”. Proc. 10th ACM SIGACT-SIGMOD-SIGART Symposium on Principles of Database Systems, pp. 142–153.Google Scholar
- 8.Tsur, S., and N. Garrison . LDL Users' Guide MCC Technical Report STP-LD-295-91, Aug. 1991.Google Scholar
- 9.Ullman, J.D.  Principles of Database and Knowledge-base Systems, Vol I: Classical Database Systems, Computer Science Press, New York, NY.Google Scholar
- 10.Ullman, J.D.  Principles of Database and Knowledge-base Systems, Vol II: The New Technologies, Computer Science Press, New York, NY.Google Scholar
- 11.Ullman, J.D. . “A Comparison Between Deductive and Object-Oriented Database Systems” Proc. Second Conf. on Deductive and Object-Oriented Databases (C. Delobel, M. Kifer and Y. Masunaga Eds.), Munich, 1991, pp. 263–277. Springer-Verlag Lecture Notes in Computer Science 566, Springer-Verlag, Berlin.Google Scholar
- 12.Vaghani J., K. Ramamohanarao, D.B. Kemp, Z. Smogyi, and P.J. Stuckey . “Design overview of the Aditi deductive database system,” TR-90/14, Dept. of CS, University of Melbourne.Google Scholar