Nociceptin/Orphanin FQ and Urinary Bladder
Following identification as the endogenous ligand for the NOP receptor, nociceptin/orphanin FQ (N/OFQ) has been shown to control several biological functions including the micturition reflex. N/OFQ elicits a robust inhibitory effect on rat micturition by reducing the excitability of the afferent fibers. After intravesical administration N/OFQ increases urodynamic bladder capacity and volume threshold in overactive bladder patients but not in normal subjects. Moreover daily treatment with intravesical N/OFQ for 10 days significantly reduced urine leakage episodes. Different chemical modifications were combined into the N/OFQ sequence to generate Rec 0438 (aka UFP-112), a peptide NOP full agonist with high potency and selectivity and long-lasting duration of action. Rec 0438 mimicked the robust inhibitory effects of N/OFQ on rat micturition reflex; its action is solely due to NOP receptor stimulation, does not show tolerance liability after 2 weeks of treatment, and can be elicited by intravesical administration. Collectively the evidence summarized and discussed in this chapter strongly suggests that NOP agonists are promising innovative drugs to treat overactive bladder.
KeywordsMicturition reflex N/OFQ NOP receptor Overactive bladder Rec 0438
Declaration of Interests
PA and MB are employed by Recordati S.p.A. RG and GC are among the funders of the University of Ferrara spin-off company UFPeptides s.r.l., the assignee of the patent covering Rec 0438.
Details of Author Contributions PA, ML, and GC wrote the first draft of the chapter, and MB and RG critically revised it. All authors approved the final version of the article.
- Angelico P, Velasco C, Guarneri L, Sironi G, Leonardi A, Testa R (2005) Urodynamic effects of oxybutynin and tolterodine in conscious and anesthetized rats under different cystometrographic conditions. BMC Pharmacol 5:14. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2210-5-14 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Broccardo M, Guerrini R, Morini G, Polidori C, Agostini S, Petrella C, Improta G (2007) The gastric effects of UFP-112, a new nociceptin/orphanin receptor agonist, in physiological and pathological conditions. Peptides 28:1974–1981. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.peptides.2007.07.021 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Broccardo M, Agostini S, Petrella C, Guerrini R, Improta G (2008) Central and peripheral role of the nociceptin/orphaninFQ system on normal and disturbed colonic motor function and faecal pellet output in the rat. Neurogastroenterol Motil 20:939–948. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2982.2008.01120.x CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Kalsi V, Apostolidis A, Popat R, Gonzales G, Fowler CJ, Dasgupta P (2006) Quality of life changes in patients with neurogenic versus idiopathic detrusor overactivity after intradetrusor injections of botulinum neurotoxin type A and correlations with lower urinary tract symptoms and urodynamic changes. Eur Urol 49:528–535. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2005.12.012 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Micheli L, Di Cesare Mannelli L, Rizzi A, Guerrini R, Trapella C, Calo G, Ghelardini C (2015b) Intrathecal administration of nociceptin/orphanin FQ receptor agonists in rats: a strategy to relieve chemotherapy-induced neuropathic hypersensitivity. Eur J Pharmacol 766:155–162. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejphar.2015.10.005 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Nishiguchi J, Hayashi Y, Chancellor MB, de Miguel F, de Groat WC, Kumon H, Yoshimura N (2005) Detrusor overactivity induced by intravesical application of adenosine 5′-triphosphate under different delivery conditions in rats. Urology 66:1332–1337. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.urology.2005.06.099 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Rizzi A et al (2007a) Pharmacological characterization of the nociceptin/orphanin FQ receptor antagonist SB-612111 [(-)-cis-1-methyl-7-[[4-(2,6-dichlorophenyl)piperidin-1-yl]methyl]-6,7,8,9-tetrah ydro-5H-benzocyclohepten-5-ol]: in vivo studies. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 321:968–974. https://doi.org/10.1124/jpet.106.116780 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Spagnolo B et al (2007) Pharmacological characterization of the nociceptin/orphanin FQ receptor antagonist SB-612111 [(-)-cis-1-methyl-7-[[4-(2,6-dichlorophenyl)piperidin-1-yl]methyl]-6,7,8,9-tetrah ydro-5H-benzocyclohepten-5-ol]: in vitro studies. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 321:961–967. https://doi.org/10.1124/jpet.106.116764 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Zaratin PF et al (2004) Modification of nociception and morphine tolerance by the selective opiate receptor-like orphan receptor antagonist (-)-cis-1-methyl-7-[[4-(2,6-dichlorophenyl)piperidin-1-yl]methyl]-6,7,8,9-tetrahy dro-5H-benzocyclohepten-5-ol (SB-612111). J Pharmacol Exp Ther 308:454–461. https://doi.org/10.1124/jpet.103.055848 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar