Reusing Design Knowledge
The long-term aim of this research is to develop a method of indexing design knowledge that is intuitive to engineering designers and therefore assists the designers to retrieve relevant information. This paper describes the development and preliminary evaluation of a method of indexing design knowledge. The concepts for the method have been elicited from designers’ descriptions of the design process. The method has been evaluated by indexing 92 reports related to one particular aero-engine.
Keywordsempirical studies design support design knowledge indexing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- http://www.dti.gov.uk/insight_manufacturing.htmlGoogle Scholar
- Marsh, J. R., 1997, The Capture and Utilisation of Experience in Engineering Design, PhD. Thesis, Cambridge University, Cambridge, U.K.Google Scholar
- Arana, I., Ahriz, H., and Fothergill, P., 2000, “Redesign Knowledge Analysis, Representation and Reuse,” In: Industrial Knowledge Management: A Micro-Level Approach, Ed. R. Roy, Springer-Verlag, London, pp.139–146.Google Scholar
- Blessing, L.T., 1996, “Design Process Capture and Support”, Proc. of the 2nd WDK Workshop on Product Structuring, Delft, 1996, pp.109–121.Google Scholar
- Yang, M.C. and Cutkosky, M.R., 1997, “Automated Indexing Of Design Concepts”, Proc. of the Int. Conf. Eng. Design, ICED1997, Vol. 2, Tampere, 1997, pp.191–196.Google Scholar
- Woods, W.A., 1997, Conceptual Indexing: A Better Way To Organize Knowledge. SMLI TR-97-61, April 1997, Sun Microsystems Laboratories, Mountain View, CA, pp. 91.Google Scholar
- Ahmed, S. and Wallace, K., 2003, “Indexing Design Knowledge Based Upon Descriptions of Design Processes,” In: Int. Conf. on Eng. Design’ 03, Stockholm, Sweden.Google Scholar
- Szykman, S., W.Racz, J., and Sriram, R.D., 1999, “The Representation of Function in Computer-Based Design,” Proceedings of the Design Theory and Methodology, ASME, 1999, Las Vegas, Nevada.Google Scholar
- Hirtz, J.M., et al., 2001, “Evolving a Functional Basis for Engineering Design,” Proc. of the ASME Design Eng. Technical Conf.: DETC2001, 2001, Pittsburgh, PA, DTM-21688.Google Scholar
- Stone, R.B. and Wood, K.L., 1999, “Development of a Functional Basis for Design,” Proc. of the Design Theory and Methodology, ASME, 1999, Las Vegas, Nevada.Google Scholar
- Ahmed S. and Wallace K., 2003, “Evaluating a Functional Basis,” In: (eds.) Design Theory and Methodology, Int. Design Eng. Technical Conf. & Comp. and Info. in Eng. Conf., ASME, 2003, Chicago, Illinois, DTM-48685.Google Scholar