Molecular Differential Diagnoses of Infectious Diseases: Is the Future Now?
- 2.6k Downloads
The clinical presentations for most infectious agents are often not specific enough to allow for a definitive diagnosis. Coughing and fever, for example, are symptoms that may be caused by many different bacterial or viral infections. Thus, for better treatment and disease control, a molecular differential diagnostic (MDD) assay that can identify, differentiate, and pinpoint the offending pathogen associated with a clinical syndrome (Fig. 27.1) is needed. MDDs are essential tools for effective infectious disease surveillance, biodefense, and personalized medicine.
KeywordsWest Nile Virus Capture Probe Ligase Chain Reaction American Type Culture Collection Strain Luminex xMAP
- Adams, C. & Brantner, V. V. (2004). Estimating the costs of new drug development: is it really $802 m? Social Science Research Network. http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm? abstract id=640563 Google Scholar
- Dean, A., Lamson, D. M., Han, J., et al. (2005). Evaluation of Genaco’s Molecular Differential Diagnostic technology for the detection of RNA respiratory viruses. Abstract #67663. 22nd Annual Clinical Virology Symposium and Annual Meeting of the Pan American Society for Clinical Virology. Google Scholar
- Fields, B. S., et al. (2005) Collaborative development of a multiplex assay system for respiratory infections. Personal communications. Google Scholar
- Gröndahl, B., Puppe, W., Hoppe, A., Kühne, I., Josef A. I., Weigl, J. A. I., & Schmitt, H-J. (1999). Rapid identification of nine microorganisms causing acute respiratory tract infections by single-tube multiplex reverse transcription-PCR: feasibility study. J Clin Microbiol, 37(1), 1–7. PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Heffler, S., Smith, S., and Keehan, S., et al. (2004). Health spending projections through 2013. Health AffairsWeb Exclusive, W4-79 through W4-93. http://content.healthaffairs.org/cgi/content/full/hlthaff. W4.79v1/DC1 Google Scholar
- Ma, X., Han, J., Wang, Z. H., et al. (2004). SARS Differential Diagnosis with a Bead Array Method. Reiner, J. Zhao, K., Chen, S. H., Guo, M. eds. Frontiers of Biotechnology& Pharmaceuticals. Volume Four. Science Press, New York, Vol. 4. pp. 1–29. Google Scholar
- Reiner, J., Zhao, K., Chen, S. H., & Guo, M. eds. (2004). Frontiers of Biotechnology& Pharmaceuticals, vol. four. Science Press, New York, pp. 1–29. Google Scholar
- Sakai, H., Procop, G. W., Kobayashi, N., et al. (2004). Simultaneous detection of Staphylococcus aureus and coagulase-negative staphylococci in positive blood cultures by realtime PCR with two fluorescence resonance energy transfer probe sets. J. Clin Microbiol, 42(12), 5739–5744. PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Swan, D., Tucker, R. A., & Unger, E. R. (2005). Evaluation of Genaco HPV genotyping assay system. Personal communications. Google Scholar