About this book
While tropical rainforests have received much conservation attention and support for their protection, temperate and boreal rainforests have been largely overlooked. Yet these ecosystems are also unique, supporting rainforest communities rich in plants and wildlife and containing some of the most massive trees on Earth.
Temperate and Boreal Rainforests of the World brings together leading scientists from around the world to describe the ecology and conservation of these lesser-known rainforests in an attempt to place them on par with tropical rainforests in conservation efforts. The book
- summarizes major scientific findings
- presents new computer models that were used to standardize rainforest definitions
- identifies regions previously not widely recognized as rainforest
- provides the latest estimates on rainforest extent and degree of protection
- explores conservation strategies
The book ends with a summary of the key ecological findings and outlines an ambitious vision of how we can conserve and manage the planet's remaining temperate and boreal rainforests in a truly ecological way that is better for nature, the climate, and ultimately our own welfare.
Temperate and Boreal Rainforests of the World is a call to action for an accord to protect the world's rainforests. It offers a global vision rooted in ecological science but written in common language useful for governments, decision makers, and conservation groups concerned about the plight of these remarkable forests.
- DOI https://doi.org/10.5822/978-1-61091-008-8
- Copyright Information Island Press 2011
- Publisher Name Island Press, Washington, DC
- eBook Packages Earth and Environmental Science
- Online ISBN 978-1-61091-008-8
- Buy this book on publisher's site
- Industry Sectors
- Materials & Steel
- Finance, Business & Banking
- Consumer Packaged Goods
- Oil, Gas & Geosciences