Table of contents
About this book
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title Civil Servants and Politics
- Book Subtitle A Delicate Balance
- Series Title Public Sector Organizations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1057/9781137316813
- Copyright Information Palgrave Macmillan, a division of Macmillan Publishers Limited 2013
- Publisher Name Palgrave Macmillan, London
- eBook Packages Palgrave Political & Intern. Studies Collection Political Science and International Studies (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-0-230-30483-3
- Softcover ISBN 978-1-349-33872-6
- eBook ISBN 978-1-137-31681-3
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XV, 246
- Number of Illustrations 0 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
European Union Politics
- Buy this book on publisher's site
- Industry Sectors
- Finance, Business & Banking
'This anthology deals with an enduring and highly important theme in public administration: the extent to which officials are recruited and promoted according to party-political criteria. The theme is crucial because it is related to administrative effectiveness and trust in government. The authors present cases that illustrate very well the many variants of such politicisation within Europe.'
Morton Egeberg, ARENA Centre for European Studies, University of Oslo, Norway.
This interesting book is a significant addition to the literature on the interface between elected and unelected public officials. It is topical, intelligent in its selection of case studies - the chapters on the eurocracy are original and rigorous- and balanced in its conclusions. It nuances what 'politicisation' of public administration means in a changing Europe with its multiple layers of governance, facing issues of great complexity and under permanent media spotlight. This is an important book to anyone wishing to understand politics.
Sir Julian Priestly, Former Secretary General of the European Parliament, 1997-2007.