About this book
This book reflects on the latest developments in discourse analysis in the context of EU politics research. It explores discourse analysis as a tool to study and understand EU politics, covering key conceptual, methodological and research-strategic questions. The analytical approach advanced in this book is anchored in discursive institutionalism, the newest addition to approaches in new institutionalism. The author particularly focuses on discourse as a strategic resource for political purposes, as a device for inclusion and exclusion in policy-making, and as a means of conveying and appealing to political emotions, as well as the role visual discourse and imagery play in day-to-day EU politics. Including a variety of examples using different combinations of research techniques and data material, the book also addresses issues related to the study of discursive structures and agency, discourse conflict and consensus, causality and the time dimension in discourse analysis.
Kennet Lynggaard is Associate Professor at the Department of Social Sciences and Business, Roskilde University, Denmark. His research focuses on politics and governance, research design, and the role of symbols, myths and emotions in European integration. He is the co-editor of Research Methods in European Union Studies (with I. Manners and K. Löfgren, 2015) and has published in numerous journals, including Journal of European Public Policy, West European Politics, New Political Economy, Comparative European Politics, and Journal of European Integration.
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1057/978-1-137-39326-5
- Copyright Information The Editor(s) (if applicable) and The Author(s) 2019
- Publisher Name Palgrave Macmillan, London
- eBook Packages Political Science and International Studies Political Science and International Studies (R0)
- Print ISBN 978-1-137-39325-8
- Online ISBN 978-1-137-39326-5
- Series Print ISSN 2662-5873
- Series Online ISSN 2662-5881
- Buy this book on publisher's site
- Industry Sectors
- Finance, Business & Banking