About this book
"Guanxi and Business Strategy" elaborates upon a topic of paramount importance to both academic scholars and managers doing business with China: the impact of personal relationships (guanxi) on business affairs. In the Chinese cultural and socio-economic environment, how are the ubiquitous practices of guanxi to be considered in entrepreneurial strategies?
Rather than explaining the emergence of guanxi and its persistence – in spite of the existence of a market economy – with Confucianism, the author applies the phenomenon to the methodology of New Economic Sociology. By integrating guanxi into a business context, he shows that the commercial utilization of guanxi with suppliers, customers, competitors and authorities yields significant sustainable competitive advantages. As guanxi practices, however, may pose risks to unsuspecting managers, guanxi-based business strategies are also assessed in terms of compliance with legal and ethical standards.
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-7908-1956-4
- Copyright Information Physica-Verlag Heidelberg 2007
- Publisher Name Physica-Verlag HD
- eBook Packages Business and Economics
- Print ISBN 978-3-7908-1955-7
- Online ISBN 978-3-7908-1956-4
- Series Print ISSN 1431-1941
- Buy this book on publisher's site