Table of contents
About this book
“Nerve-Driven Immunity: Neurotransmitters and Neuropeptides in the Immune System” summarizes, analyzes and sheds new light on an unrecognized, yet very important role of key neurotransmitters and neuropeptides in the immune system.
Each chapter of the book deals with a different neurotransmitter/neuropeptide from the following list: Dopamine, Adrenaline, Noradrenaline, Acetylcholine, Glutamate, GABA, Somatostatin, Neuropeptide Y (NPY), Vasoactive intestinal polypeptide (VIP), Calcitonin gene related peptide (CGRP), Opioids and Cannabinoids.
For each of these neurotransmitters/neuropeptides, the following four topics are discussed:
- The specific receptors for the neurotransmitter/neuropeptide expressed in various types of immune cells
- The direct effects induced by the neurotransmitter/neuropeptide in various types of immune cells (either resting or activated), and the specific immune functions and features it activates/elevates or rather inhibits in specific concentrations
- The production of the neurotransmitter/neuropeptide in, and its release by, various types of immune cells
- The involvement of the neurotransmitter/neuropeptide in various diseases of the immune system (among them autoimmune diseases, immunodeficiency diseases and hematological cancers)
The book includes many original figures, overview tables, and proposed models of events which are instrumental, enriching and stimulating for the reader.
In light of the above-mentioned aspects, “Nerve-Driven Immunity: Neurotransmitters and Neuropeptides in the Immune System” is ideally suited as a textbook for new courses in Immunology, Neurology, Neuro-immunology or Pharmacology.
The book chapters were written by highly skilled authors from 10 countries: the USA, the United Kingdom, Italy, Israel, Sweden, France, Germany, Spain, Serbia and Romania.
“Nerve-Driven Immunity” is a term first coined by Dr. Mia Levite (the editor of the book).
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-7091-0888-8
- Copyright Information Springer-Verlag/Wien 2012
- Publisher Name Springer, Vienna
- eBook Packages Biomedical and Life Sciences
- Print ISBN 978-3-7091-0887-1
- Online ISBN 978-3-7091-0888-8
- About this book