About this book
Councillors are the essence of local representative democracy, linking ordinary citizens and decision-makers in municipal arenas. In cross-national perspective, and taking in countries from across Europe, this book analyses the recruitment patterns, career, party associations, role perceptions, and attitudes to democracy, representation, and participation of local councillors. Matters such as gender, parties, institutions, municipal reform, functions in governance networks, and councillor influence are considered using data collected in an international survey, covering some 12,000 members of the local political elite. Drawing on diverse and eclectic literature, the contributions in this volume comprise a comprehensive and revealing analysis of modern councillors.
Local Councillors in Comparative Perspective.- Political Recruitment and Career Development of Local Councillors in Europe.- Councillors and their Parties.- The Roles Councillors Play.- Councillors and Democracy.- Who do the Local Councillors of Europe Represent?- Councillors, Participation, and Local Democracy.- Municipal Councillors as Interest Mediators.- European Mayors and Councillors – The gender gap among local representatives – Local councillors in different governance network arrangements – Local councillors and administrative reforms – Municipal priorities in urban planning and local development
· Academics and practitioners in the fields of political sciences
Björn Egner is Senior Researcher at the Institute for Political Science at Technische Universität Darmstadt, Germany. He is the head of the research group for Methodology in Political Science and Philosophy of Science.
David Sweeting is Senior Lecturer in Urban Studies in the Centre for Urban and Public Policy Research at the University of Bristol, UK.
Pieter-Jan Klok is Assistant Professor for Policy Science at the Department of Public Administration in the School of Management and Governance of the University of Twente, The Netherlands.
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title Local Councillors in Europe
- Series Title Urban and Regional Research International
- Series Abbreviated Title Urban Research Internat.
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-658-01857-3
- Copyright Information Springer Fachmedien Wiesbaden 2013
- Publisher Name Springer VS, Wiesbaden
- eBook Packages Humanities, Social Sciences and Law Political Science and International Studies (R0)
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-658-01856-6
- eBook ISBN 978-3-658-01857-3
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages X, 270
- Number of Illustrations 37 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
- Buy this book on publisher's site
- Industry Sectors
- Finance, Business & Banking