About this book
This thesis presents two production cross-section measurements of pairs of massive bosons using ﬁnal states with leptons, made with the ATLAS detector at the Large Hadron Collider. The ﬁrst measurement, performed using data collected in 2012 at center-of-mass energy √ s = 8 TeV, is the ﬁrst ﬁducial and diﬀerential cross-section measurement of the production of the Higgs Boson when it decays to four charged leptons (electrons or muons). The second measurement is the ﬁrst ﬁducial and inclusive production cross-section measurement of WZ pairs at center-of-mass energy √ s = 13 TeV using ﬁnal states with three charged leptons.
A signiﬁcant portion of the thesis focuses on the methods used to identify electrons from massive boson decay—important for many ﬂagship measurements—and on assessing the eﬃciency of these particle identiﬁcation techniques. The chapter discussing the WZ pair cross-section measurement provides a detailed example of an estimate of lepton background in the context of an analysis with three leptons in the ﬁnal state.
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-73930-4
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing AG 2018
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Physics and Astronomy
- Print ISBN 978-3-319-73929-8
- Online ISBN 978-3-319-73930-4
- Series Print ISSN 2190-5053
- Series Online ISSN 2190-5061
- Buy this book on publisher's site