About this book
This book presents recent advances in landscape analysis and landscape planning based on selected studies conducted in different parts of Europe. Included are methodological problems and case studies presented and discussed during scientific sessions organized by the Commission of Landscape Analysis and Landscape Planning of the International Geographical Union (IGU) within the framework of the IGU Regional Conference in Kraków, Poland, August 18-22, 2014.
The subject of landscape analysis and landscape planning has been of interest to geographers since the beginning of the twentieth century. This relatively new area of study, which focuses on the landscape resource patches and spatial interconnections, was first introduced as landscape ecology (Landschaftsoekologie) by Carl Troll, one of the twentieth century’s most influential physical geographers. Today, landscape studies involve adopting a holistic view of geographic environments and are closely connected to rapidly developing ecosystem, sustainable landscape and ecosystem services approaches. Modern techniques employing Geographical Information Systems are used to support spatial landscape analyses.
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-13527-4
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing Switzerland 2015
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Earth and Environmental Science
- Print ISBN 978-3-319-13526-7
- Online ISBN 978-3-319-13527-4
- Series Print ISSN 2194-315X
- Series Online ISSN 2194-3168
- About this book