About this book
In 1842 the Belgian mathematician Eugène Charles Catalan asked whether 8 and 9 are the only consecutive pure powers of non-zero integers. 160 years after, the question was answered affirmatively by the Swiss mathematician of Romanian origin Preda Mihăilescu.
In this book we give a complete and (almost) self-contained exposition of Mihăilescu’s work, which must be understandable by a curious university student, not necessarily specializing in Number Theory. We assume very modest background: a standard university course of algebra, including basic Galois theory, and working knowledge of basic algebraic number theory.
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-10094-4
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing Switzerland 2014
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Mathematics and Statistics
- Print ISBN 978-3-319-10093-7
- Online ISBN 978-3-319-10094-4
- About this book