About this book
RFID technology has been available for decades, but it is only recently that its application has become a core topic for computing. This book introduces the technologies and techniques of large-scale RFID-enabled mobile computing systems, set in the context of specific case studies.
The book begins with a quick introduction to RFID basics and then discusses the various elements of the topic, using applications such as e-passports, ticketing and supply-chain management throughout. The text explores RFID technology fundamentals, including operating principles, core system components and performance trade-offs involved in the selection of specific RFID platforms. The emphasis is on a practical approach, developing an arsenal of techniques and designs that can be mixed and matched to fit the needs of new systems and applications.
• Offers a practical approach, with specific RFID applications providing context for discussion
• Highlights the basics of RFID, including wireless energy transfer and communication by reflection.
• Presents the main ingredients for building complete network RFID systems
• Discusses the different types of readers and tags in detail – making particular reference to common technologies used in real systems
• Explores how the different identifier systems encode unique serial codes for tagged entities, and how codes are assigned to particular organizations
• Describes the structure and functionality of modern RFID systems and middleware
• Considers different types of network services required for RFID support
• Debates the hot topics of privacy and security
• Looks at the future of RFID technology
• Allows readers to experiment via a supplementary website with operational instances of RFID network services: http://www.roussos.eu/rfid
Written for IT professionals as well as students, this comprehensive and reader-friendly text discusses the current state-of-the-art in RFID platforms and architecture. It will be invaluable for anyone experienced in software development and involved with RFID technology, and will facilitate informed decision-making.
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-84800-153-4
- Copyright Information Springer-Verlag London 2008
- Publisher Name Springer, London
- eBook Packages Computer Science
- Print ISBN 978-1-84800-152-7
- Online ISBN 978-1-84800-153-4
- Series Print ISSN 1617-7975
- Buy this book on publisher's site