About this book
This volume examines the role of mitochondria in different types of cell death, including apoptotic and necrotic cell deaths. Topics discussed include mitochondrial outer membrane permeabilization (MOMP) and the permeability transition pore; core processes such as calcium handling, fission and fusion, reactive oxygen species generation, and maintenance of mitochondrial DNA fidelity and protein folding homeostasis; and retrograde signaling between mitochondria and other cellular components, including the important role of mitochondria in antiviral immunity. The expertly authored chapters are drawn from multidisciplinary international perspectives, lending a nuanced and comprehensive approach to the material.
Mitochondria and Cell Death, part of the Cell Death in Biology and Diseases series, is invaluable reading for graduate students, researchers, and clinicians in the fields of neuroscience, oncology, gastroenterology, and hepatology, as well as those interested in the study of mitochondria and cell biology.
Apoptosis intermembrane space interorganelle associations membrane permeability mitochondrial dynamics necroptosis sphingolipids
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4939-3612-0
- Copyright Information Springer Science+Business Media New York 2016
- Publisher Name Humana Press, New York, NY
- eBook Packages Biomedical and Life Sciences
- Print ISBN 978-1-4939-3610-6
- Online ISBN 978-1-4939-3612-0
- Buy this book on publisher's site