Table of contents
About this book
How can people master their own thoughts, feelings, and actions? This question is central to the scientific study of self-regulation. The behavioral side of self-regulation has been extensively investigated over the last decades, but the biological machinery that allows people to self-regulate has mostly remained vague and unspecified. Handbook of Biobehavioral Approaches to Self-Regulation corrects this imbalance. Moving beyond traditional mind-body dualities, the various contributions in the book examine how self-regulation becomes established in cardiovascular, hormonal, and central nervous systems. Particular attention is given to the dynamic interplay between affect and cognition in self-regulation. The book also addresses the psychobiology of effort, the impact of depression on self-regulation, the development of self-regulation, and the question what causes self-regulation to succeed or fail. These novel perspectives provide readers with a new, biologically informed understanding of self-awareness and self-agency. Among the topics being covered are:
- Self-regulation in an evolutionary perspective.
- The muscle metaphor in self-regulation in the light of current theorizing on muscle physiology.
- From distraction to mindfulness: psychological and neural mechanisms of attention strategies in self-regulation.
- Self-regulation in social decision-making: a neurobiological perspective.
- Mental effort: brain and autonomic correlates in health and disease.
- A basic and applied model of the body-mind system.
Handbook of Biobehavioral Approaches to Self-Regulation provides a wealth of theoretical insights into self-regulation, with great potential for future applications for improving self-regulation in everyday life settings, including education, work, health, and interpersonal relationships. The book highlights a host of exciting new ideas and directions and is sure to provoke a great deal of thought and discussion among researchers, practitioners, and graduate-level students in psychology, education, neuroscience, medicine, and behavioral economics.
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4939-1236-0
- Copyright Information Springer Science+Business Media New York 2015
- Publisher Name Springer, New York, NY
- eBook Packages Behavioral Science
- Print ISBN 978-1-4939-1235-3
- Online ISBN 978-1-4939-1236-0
- Buy this book on publisher's site
- Industry Sectors
- Finance, Business & Banking