About this book
This unique volume explores a growing collaboration between the sport and health sectors to deliver innovative public health interventions in the community. It explores the role of sport and sports settings as a vehicle for achieving health outcomes, as well as some of the practical and moral challenges presented by sport and public health partnerships working together.
Twenty detailed examples illustrate the broad range of programs which have already been developed around the world, from across the spectrum of public health activity.
• Time Out for Your Health: A sports-based health intervention approach with American football teams
• Promoting Mental Wellbeing in Rugby League communities
• Slum Soccer – female empowerment through football
• Football 4 Peace
• Sport as a post-disaster psychosocial intervention for children in Bam, Iran
• Sex and Sport: An Australian rules football-based chlamydia screening initiative
As well as showcasing what has been achieved in this exciting new field, Sports-based Health Interventions shares valuable advice and lessons learnt to inform the next generation of sports-based public health initiatives.
conflict and disaster response global health health promotion immunization international development social capital building
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4614-5996-5
- Copyright Information Springer Science+Business Media New York 2016
- Publisher Name Springer, New York, NY
- eBook Packages Medicine
- Print ISBN 978-1-4614-5995-8
- Online ISBN 978-1-4614-5996-5
- Buy this book on publisher's site