About this book
This book distinguishes itself from existing literature by presenting billiard dynamics outside bounded domains, including scattering, resistance, invisibility and retro-reflection. It begins with an overview of the mathematical notations used throughout the book and a brief review of the main results. Chapters 2 and 3 are focused on problems of minimal resistance and Newton’s problem in media with positive temperature. In chapters 4 and 5, scattering of billiards by nonconvex and rough domains is characterized and some related special problems of optimal mass transportation are studied. Applications in aerodynamics are addressed next and problems of invisibility and retro-reflection within the framework of geometric optics conclude the text.
The book will appeal to mathematicians working in dynamical systems and calculus of variations. Specialists working in the areas of applications discussed will also find it useful.
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4614-4481-7
- Copyright Information Springer Science+Business Media New York 2013
- Publisher Name Springer, New York, NY
- eBook Packages Mathematics and Statistics
- Print ISBN 978-1-4614-4480-0
- Online ISBN 978-1-4614-4481-7
- Buy this book on publisher's site
- Industry Sectors