Table of contents
The General Context of Small and Path-Dependent National Innovation Systems
The Contingency Approach to Success in Innovation Systems
The Innovation Capabilities in a Small and Path-Dependent Innovation System
The Relationships of Human and Social Factors with Innovation
The Innovation Policies in a Context of Small and Path-Dependent Country
About this book
In several parts of the world, countries are undergoing economic, social, and political transitions, enhanced and accelerated by the forces of globalization. These transition economies can serve as laboratories for understanding the innovation process. This volume features original theoretical and empirical research. It offers the first comprehensive view of innovation system development in the context of small catching-up economies. Smallness, path dependency, and latecomer status of such economies create some inherent limitations for their innovation systems, but these special characteristics can offer advantages as well.
For example, smallness is often related with increased flexibility and shorter reaction times, while latecomers can benefit from earlier experiences of their more advanced neighbors. Path-dependency highlights the fact that the innovation system development processes are considerably influenced by the past experience of a particular country or region.
By incorporating these features into an integrated analysis, the authors address such questions as:
· What special features characterize the innovation system development in small catching-up economies?
· What are the causes for innovation success or failure?
· How do organizational capabilities and internationalization tendencies relate to company level innovations?
· What is the role of human capital and social factors in the innovation process?
· How can various policies support innovation in an integrated manner?
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4614-1548-0
- Copyright Information Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2012
- Publisher Name Springer, New York, NY
- eBook Packages Business and Economics
- Print ISBN 978-1-4614-1547-3
- Online ISBN 978-1-4614-1548-0
- Buy this book on publisher's site
- Industry Sectors
- Finance, Business & Banking