Table of contents
About this book
Expert Oracle SQL: Optimization, Deployment, and Statistics is about optimizing individual SQL statements, especially on production database systems. This Oracle-specific book begins by assuming you have already identified a particular SQL statement and are considering taking steps to improve its performance. The book describes a systematic process by which to diagnose a problem statement, identify a fix, and to implement that fix safely in a production system. You'll learn not only to improve performance when it is too slow, but also to stabilize performance when it is too variable. You'll learn about system statistics and how the Cost-Based Optimizer uses them to determine a suitable execution plan for a given statement. That knowledge provides the foundation from which to identify the root cause, and to stabilize and improve performance.
Next after identifying a problem and the underlying root cause is to put in place a solution. Expert Oracle SQL: Optimization, Deployment, and Statistics explains how to apply various remedies such as changing the SQL statement, adding hints, changing the physical design, and more, and how they can be brought to bear on fixing a problem once and for all.
Rolling a change out smoothly is an important topic when dealing with tuning and optimization. Expert Oracle SQL: Optimization, Deployment, and Statistics does not let you down in this critical area. The book contains two chapters of good information from an experienced professional on how to safely deploy changes into production so that your systems remaining running and available throughout the deployment process.
- Describes a systematic approach to tuning Oracle SQL
- Explains how things are supposed to work, what can go wrong, and how to fix it
- Takes you through the steps needed to stabilize performance in your production systems
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4302-5978-7
- Copyright Information Apress 2014
- Publisher Name Apress, Berkeley, CA
- eBook Packages Professional and Applied Computing
- Print ISBN 978-1-4302-5977-0
- Online ISBN 978-1-4302-5978-7
- About this book