Table of contents
About this book
Injuries kill and maim millions each year, and seriously impact the lives of countless loved ones. Yet until recently they’ve been considered a random, normal part of life. Preventing injuries, on the other hand, requires not only effective communication with the public, but also a reliable framework for creating and evaluating suitable interventions.
The Handbook of Injury and Violence Prevention is the first book to address both halves of this challenge, reviewing evidence-based intervention programs in depth so professionals can identify successful, promising, and ineffective (and potentially harmful) prevention strategies. Over fifty experts present the current landscape of intervention methods - from risk reduction to rethinking social norms - as they address some of the most prevalent forms of accidental and violent injury, as well as emerging areas.
- Overview chapters examine the social and economic scope of unintentional and violent injury today
- Extensive literature review of specific intervention programs to prevent violence and injury
- Special chapters on childhood injuries, alcohol-related accidents, and disasters
- "Interventions in the Field" section offers solid guidelines for implementing and improving existing programs
- Critical analysis of issues involved in delivering programs to wider audiences
- Helpful appendices list relevant agencies and professional resources
This dual focus on intervention and application makes the Handbook a bedrock text for professionals involved in delivering or managing prevention programs. Its what-works-now approach gives it particular utility in the graduate classroom, and researchers will benefit from the critical attention paid to knowledge gaps in the field. It is a major resource for any reader committed to reducing the number of incidents just waiting to happen.
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/b136518
- Copyright Information Springer US 2007
- Publisher Name Springer, Boston, MA
- eBook Packages Medicine
- Print ISBN 978-0-387-85769-5
- Online ISBN 978-0-387-29457-5
- Buy this book on publisher's site