Table of contents
About this book
This book analyses and discusses the multiple dimensions of social exclusion/inclusion seen in South Asia. It not only captures how ‘social exclusion’ is intrinsic to deprivation or deprivation in itself, but also the processes of political engagement and social interactions that the socially excluded develop as strategies and networks for their advancement. Consequently, the book goes beyond structures or agency, and examines the question of a more dynamic approach to provide spaces for the ‘socially excluded’ to self-manage exclusion, thereby raising discussions around the contested positions that underlie development discourse on social inequality.
While social exclusion linked to identities is studied, the book argues that hierarchies and inequalities based on social identities cut across and affect various groups of excluded. Consequently, these phenomena create or lead to various processes of exclusion. The book illustrates that social exclusion should not be limited to privileging the differences that characterize the exclusionary processes, but should also comprise underpinning strategies of ‘inclusion’, emphasizing the need to focus on imperatives ‘to include’. As a result, the book acknowledges that social exclusion is not limited to analyzing the different identities that face exclusion, but also understanding the systems and processes that create social exclusion, or create opportunities for inclusion of the excluded.
The book addresses readership across academic disciplines (including in the growing field of state capacity and governance), and practitioners (administrators and policy-making communities). Conclusively, the book, provides a platform to intensively exchange the multifaceted and critical issue of social exclusion/inclusion, and thus contributes to inclusive sustainable development discourse.
Social Exclusion/Inclusion Inclusive Development Inequalities Power Sharing Democratic Politics, Social Policies Governance
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title Including the Excluded in South Asia
- Book Subtitle Power, Politics and Policy Perspectives from the Region
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-32-9759-3
- Copyright Information Springer Nature Singapore Pte Ltd. 2019
- Publisher Name Springer, Singapore
- eBook Packages Economics and Finance Economics and Finance (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-981-32-9758-6
- Softcover ISBN 978-981-32-9761-6
- eBook ISBN 978-981-32-9759-3
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XVII, 254
- Number of Illustrations 1 b/w illustrations, 21 illustrations in colour
Social Structure, Social Inequality
Governance and Government
Social/Human Development Studies
- Buy this book on publisher's site