About this book
—Professor Dr Gowher Rizvi, International Affairs Adviser to the Hon'ble Prime Minister of Bangladesh
“The book addresses one of the major challenges of our time: more students in school but fewer jobs. It serves as an important reference for policymakers on how to create more employment opportunities for youth in Bangladesh. The volume would also be useful for practitioners in other developing countries which are also grappling with the issue of unemployment.”
—Professor Dr Sachin Chaturvedi, Director General, Research and Information System for Developing Countries (RIS), New Delhi, IndiaThis book brings together pioneering and evidence-based research that focuses on youth employment—one of the foremost development challenges of our time—and fills a critical research and knowledge gap alongside consolidating existing relevant literature. Comprehensive in scope, the book provides an overview of trends in youth employment in Bangladesh, empirically analyses the determinants of youth unemployment, covers relevant economic theory, and recommends policy measures for employment creation in Bangladesh.
The new evidence from Bangladesh on the aforesaid issues will inform relevant and concurrent policy discourse, add value to related research in the field, and inspire future research. The insights gathered through this study will serve as an important lesson for other developing countries on what works and what does not in policy-making.
Fahmida Khatun is Executive Director at the Centre for Policy Dialogue (CPD) in Bangladesh.
Syed Yusuf Saadat is a Research Associate at the Centre for Policy Dialogue (CPD) in Bangladesh.
- Book Title Youth Employment in Bangladesh
- Book Subtitle Creating Opportunities—Reaping Dividends
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-15-1750-1
- Copyright Information The Editor(s) (if applicable) and The Author(s), under exclusive license to Springer Nature Singapore Pte Ltd. 2020
- Publisher Name Palgrave Macmillan, Singapore
- eBook Packages Economics and Finance Economics and Finance (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-981-15-1749-5
- Softcover ISBN 978-981-15-1752-5
- eBook ISBN 978-981-15-1750-1
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XXIV, 181
- Number of Illustrations 19 b/w illustrations, 7 illustrations in colour
Development and Sustainability
- Buy this book on publisher's site
- Industry Sectors
- Finance, Business & Banking