Table of contents
About this book
This book explores how the business transformation taking place in Japan is influenced by the digital revolution. Its chapters present approaches and examples from sectors commonly understood to be visible arenas of digital transformation—3D printing and mobility, for instance—as well as some from not-so-obvious sectors, such as retail, services, and fintech.
Business today is facing unprecedented change especially due to the adoption of new, digital technologies, with a noticeable transformation of manufacturing and services. The changes have been brought by advanced robotics, the emergence of artificial intelligence, and digital networks that are growing in size and capability as the number of connected devices explodes. In addition, there are advanced manufacturing and collaborative connected platforms, including machine-to-machine communications. Adoption of digital technology has caused process disruptions in both the manufacturing and services sectors and led to new business models and new products.
While examining the preparedness of the Japanese economy to embrace these changes, the book explores the impact of digitally influenced changes on some selected sectors from a Japanese perspective. It paints a big picture in explaining how a previously manufacturing-centric, successful economy adopts change to retain and rebuild success in the global environment. Japan as a whole is embracing, yet also avoiding—innovating but also restricting—various forms of digitalization of life and work. The book, with its 17 chapters, is a collaborative effort of individuals contributing diverse points of view as technologists, academics, and managers.
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title Transforming Japanese Business
- Book Subtitle Rising to the Digital Challenge
William W. Baber
- Series Title Future of Business and Finance
- Series Abbreviated Title Future of bus. & Finance
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-15-0327-6
- Copyright Information Springer Nature Singapore Pte Ltd. 2020
- Publisher Name Springer, Singapore
- eBook Packages Business and Management Business and Management (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-981-15-0326-9
- Softcover ISBN 978-981-15-0329-0
- eBook ISBN 978-981-15-0327-6
- Series ISSN 2662-2467
- Series E-ISSN 2662-2475
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XXIII, 265
- Number of Illustrations 28 b/w illustrations, 17 illustrations in colour
- Buy this book on publisher's site