About this book
This book traces the evolution of Singapore’s parks system, from colonial to present times. Further, it contextualizes the design and planning of parks in the general discourse on western and eastern traditions: early twentieth century western conceptions ‘imported’ during colonialism; modernism; postmodernism, and the contemporary ecological debate.
Park system planning products respond to national policies and result in structural urban elements and a range of park types.
Global (western ideology) and local issues have influenced park system planning and the physical design of individual parks over time. However, in Singapore the eastern literature has not addressed the development of parks and urban green spaces in terms of historical perspective.
The publication reveals the interrelations between visual representations and changing political ideologies. Singapore’s system of public parks is shown to represent an iconography created by the state. Its set of constructed narratives elucidates on the potential social, cultural and environmental roles of public parks. However, Singapore’s park system presents a novel paradigm for expanding Asian cities, characterized by evolving urban imaging strategies.
In framing Singapore’s case study within the broader perspective of eastern applications of western planning and design practices, and constructions of nation in post-colonial countries, the manuscript establishes the contribution of the Singaporean model of design and planning of parks to the international debate.
Cultural Landscapes Garden Planning Landscape Architecture Landscape Design Planning and Design Singapore Public Parks Themed Public Parks
- Book Title Singapore’s Park System Master Planning
- Book Subtitle A Nation Building Tool to Construct Narratives in Post-Colonial Countries
- Series Title Advances in 21st Century Human Settlements
- Series Abbreviated Title Advances in 21st Century Human Settlements
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-13-6746-5
- Copyright Information Springer Nature Singapore Pte Ltd. 2020
- Publisher Name Springer, Singapore
- eBook Packages Earth and Environmental Science Earth and Environmental Science (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-981-13-6744-1
- Softcover ISBN 978-981-13-6902-5
- eBook ISBN 978-981-13-6746-5
- Series ISSN 2198-2546
- Series E-ISSN 2198-2554
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XXX, 355
- Number of Illustrations 22 b/w illustrations, 75 illustrations in colour
Urban Geography / Urbanism (inc. megacities, cities, towns)
- Buy this book on publisher's site