About this book
This book presents a succinct and mathematically rigorous treatment of the main pillars of Shannon’s information theory, discussing the fundamental concepts and indispensable results of Shannon’s mathematical theory of communications. It includes five meticulously written core chapters (with accompanying problems), emphasizing the key topics of information measures; lossless and lossy data compression; channel coding; and joint source-channel coding for single-user (point-to-point) communications systems. It also features two appendices covering necessary background material in real analysis and in probability theory and stochastic processes.
The book is ideal for a one-semester foundational course on information theory for senior undergraduate and entry-level graduate students in mathematics, statistics, engineering, and computing and information sciences. A comprehensive instructor’s solutions manual is available.
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-10-8001-2
- Copyright Information Springer Nature Singapore Pte Ltd. 2018
- Publisher Name Springer, Singapore
- eBook Packages Mathematics and Statistics Mathematics and Statistics (R0)
- Print ISBN 978-981-10-8000-5
- Online ISBN 978-981-10-8001-2
- Series Print ISSN 1867-5506
- Series Online ISSN 1867-5514
- Buy this book on publisher's site