Table of contents
About this book
This book provides a practical strategy for obtaining a more complete and accurate geologic site characterization. The strategy and methods to characterize complex geologic settings are readily available. The strategy utilizes readily available technology, basic science and good, old-fashioned common sense resulting in a solid understanding of geologic and even karst or pseudokarst conditions. We provide an introduction to many off-the-shelf methods available for site characterization as well as examples of their application throughout the book.
The purpose of a geologic site characterization is to understand the 3-dimensional geologic framework, along with the engineering and hydrologic properties of a site including any man-made impacts. A well-done site characterization is the cornerstone of all geotechnical, groundwater and environmental projects. The geologic conditions, particularly karst conditions, can significantly impact a site including its structural stability, groundwater pathways and potential for rapid transport or traps for contaminants. Once we have adequately characterized the geologic conditions can we carry our remediation, design and construction, model flow, and make risk assessments that are accurate and reliable.
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-94-017-9924-9
- Copyright Information Springer Science+Business Media Dordrecht. 2016
- Publisher Name Springer, Dordrecht
- eBook Packages Earth and Environmental Science Earth and Environmental Science (R0)
- Print ISBN 978-94-017-9923-2
- Online ISBN 978-94-017-9924-9
- Buy this book on publisher's site