About this book
The integrin family is composed of 24 members and approximately ten years ago (2003) we published a book devoted to the nine I domain integrin subunits. In this second edition, I am pleased that most of the original authors have been able to contribute to the updated version.
I domain containing integrins include collagen receptors and leukocyte receptors. In 2003 the knockout mouse phenotypes for all of the I domain integrins had not yet been published; they are now, and are summarized and discussed in this edition.
Interestingly, a recent 10 integrin mutation in dogs has indicated that collagen-binding integrins in the musculoskeletal system might have much more severe phenotypes in larger animals/humans compared to the mild integrin phenotypes observed in collagen-binding integrin deficient mice. This finding is further discussed in the book.
In the cancer field, the microenvironment is taking center stage, and here collagen receptors on fibroblasts are predicted to play important roles in paracrine signaling, in regulating tissue stiffness and matrix remodeling.
New technologies, new mouse models in combination with analyses of I integrins in larger animals/humans are thus predicted to increase our knowledge about this group of receptors. With this in mind we look forward to another 10 years of research with I domain integrins.
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title I Domain Integrins
- Series Title Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology
- Series Abbreviated Title Advs Exp. Medicine, Biology
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-94-017-9153-3
- Copyright Information Springer Science+Business Media Dordrecht 2014
- Publisher Name Springer, Dordrecht
- eBook Packages Biomedical and Life Sciences Biomedical and Life Sciences (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-94-017-9152-6
- Softcover ISBN 978-94-024-0290-2
- eBook ISBN 978-94-017-9153-3
- Series ISSN 0065-2598
- Series E-ISSN 2214-8019
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XIV, 179
- Number of Illustrations 18 b/w illustrations, 32 illustrations in colour
Life Sciences, general
- Buy this book on publisher's site