Table of contents
About this book
The International Handbook of Research in Professional and Practice-based Learning discusses what constitutes professionalism, examines the concepts and practices of professional and practice-based learning, including associated research traditions and educational provisions. It also explores professional learning in institutions of higher and vocational education as well the practice settings where professionals work and learn, focusing on both initial and ongoing development and how that learning is assessed.
The Handbook features research from expert contributors in education, studies of the professions, and accounts of research methodologies from a range of informing disciplines. It is organized in two parts. The first part sets out conceptions of professionalism at work, how professions, work and learning can be understood, and examines the kinds of institutional practices organized for developing occupational capacities. The second part focuses on procedural issues associated with learning for and through professional practice, and how assessment of professional capacities might progress.
The key premise of this Handbook is that during both initial and ongoing professional development, individual learning processes are influenced and shaped through their professional environment and practices. Moreover, in turn, the practice and processes of learning through practice are shaped by their development, all of which are required to be understood through a range of research orientations, methods and findings.
This Handbook will appeal to academics working in fields of professional practice, including those who are concerned about developing these capacities in their students. In addition, students and research students will also find this Handbook a key reference resource to the field.
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title International Handbook of Research in Professional and Practice-based Learning
- Series Title Springer International Handbooks of Education
- Series Abbreviated Title Springer Int.Hdbk Educat. (formerly:Kluwer Int.Hdbk Educat.)
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-94-017-8902-8
- Copyright Information Springer Science+Business Media Dordrecht 2014
- Publisher Name Springer, Dordrecht
- eBook Packages Humanities, Social Sciences and Law Education (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-94-017-8901-1
- eBook ISBN 978-94-017-8902-8
- Series ISSN 2197-1951
- Series E-ISSN 2197-196X
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XXI, 1383
- Number of Illustrations 100 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
Professional & Vocational Education
Lifelong Learning/Adult Education
- Buy this book on publisher's site