Table of contents
About this book
Literacy is the second volume of the Encyclopedia of Language and Education, the first attempt to overview an area which has emerged as a coherent and exciting field of study in the last two decades. While forming part of a series of eight volumes, Literacy also stands on its own, drawing on some 25 state-of-the-art reviews of current concerns in the study of literacy prepared by leading writers and researchers.
The book is organised in four main sections: Reading, Writing, The Social Context of Literacy and Literacy Teaching in Selected Regions. The approach is multidisciplinary, drawing on insights from fields as diverse as anthropology and computer science, sociolinguistics and psychology. The international flavour of the volume is reflected not only in the choice of contributors from eleven different countries but also in the emphasis throughout on the impact of globalization on our understanding of literacy.
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-94-011-4540-4
- Copyright Information Kluwer Academic Publishers 1997
- Publisher Name Springer, Dordrecht
- eBook Packages Springer Book Archive
- Print ISBN 978-0-7923-4929-7
- Online ISBN 978-94-011-4540-4
- Buy this book on publisher's site
- Industry Sectors
- Consumer Packaged Goods