About this book
The aim of this book is analyzing the role of collective action in the provision of agri-environmental public goods through agriculture at EU level, as well as providing policy recommendations regarding agri-environmental strategies based on collective and collaborative approaches.
The European debate on the future orientation of the Common Agricultural Policy (CAP) is increasingly shaped by the role of agriculture in providing agri-environmental public goods, and there is a broad consensus that this approach will be particularly relevant in legitimating the EU policy intervention in agriculture in the future. Nevertheless, in the institutional and academic debate it is not clear to what extent collective action could be taken into consideration as a valuable alternative to market or state regulation to increase the environmental performance of agriculture, and to what extent it is possible to design and implement agricultural policies that incorporate a collective approach for the provision of agri-environmental public goods.
Could collective action be an important driver of workable solutions regarding the provision of agri-environmental public goods through agriculture? Which are the main drivers that stimulate the participation of farmers into collective action? How can government stimulate collective action? At which level of government collective action can be better stimulated? What kinds of policies are necessary to promote collective action?The book aims at addressing these questions by exploring, through participatory methods, two case studies of collective action for the provision of agri-environmental public goods that have been recently developed in Central Italy. The in-depth analysis of these case studies was completed with a critical review of the literature, in order to provide some insights to the theoretical development on the role of collective action for the public goods associated to agriculture.
- Book Title Agriculture and Public Goods
- Book Subtitle The Role of Collective Action
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-94-007-7457-5
- Copyright Information Springer Science+Business Media Dordrecht 2014
- Publisher Name Springer, Dordrecht
- eBook Packages Biomedical and Life Sciences Biomedical and Life Sciences (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-94-007-7456-8
- Softcover ISBN 978-94-024-0204-9
- eBook ISBN 978-94-007-7457-5
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XV, 150
- Number of Illustrations 14 b/w illustrations, 12 illustrations in colour
- Buy this book on publisher's site