About this book
Review by Ashraf A. Kassim, Professor, Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering, and Associate Dean, School of Engineering, National University of Singapore.
The book consists of eight chapters of which the first two provide an overview of various video & image coding standards, and video formats. The next four chapters present in detail the Audio & video standard (AVS) of China, the H.264/MPEG-4 Advanced video coding (AVC) standard, High efficiency video coding (HEVC) standard and the VP6 video coding standard (now VP10) respectively. The performance of the wavelet based Dirac video codec is compared with H.264/MPEG-4 AVC in chapter 7. Finally in chapter 8, the VC-1 video coding standard is presented together with VC-2 which is based on the intra frame coding of Dirac and an outline of a H.264/AVC to VC-1 transcoder.
The authors also present and discuss relevant research literature such as those which document improved methods & techniques, and also point to other related resources including standards documents, open source software, review papers, and keynote speeches. The numerous projects presented in the later chapters are particularly thought provoking and challenging. These would be useful for readers, especially graduate students, helping them develop a deeper understanding of the standards and also direct them to further research. True to its name, “Video Coding Standards” would serve as a unique resource for researchers, developers and graduate students in the video coding field, enabling them to achieve a good understanding of these current standards including the differences in performance and limitations, as well as keep abreast of latest developments.
- Book Title Video coding standards
- Book Subtitle AVS China, H.264/MPEG-4 PART 10, HEVC, VP6, DIRAC and VC-1
- Series Title Signals and Communication Technology
- Series Abbreviated Title Signals, Communication Technology
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-94-007-6742-3
- Copyright Information Springer Science+Business Media Dordrecht 2014
- Publisher Name Springer, Dordrecht
- eBook Packages Engineering Engineering (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-94-007-6741-6
- eBook ISBN 978-94-007-6742-3
- Series ISSN 1860-4862
- Series E-ISSN 1860-4870
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XXIII, 499
- Number of Illustrations 335 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
Communications Engineering, Networks
Coding and Information Theory
Computer Science, general
- Buy this book on publisher's site