About this book
This detailed survey of Brunei English reflects the burgeoning academic interest in the many new varieties of English which are fast evolving around the world. Wholly up to date, the study is based on careful analysis of a substantial dataset that provides real-life examples of usage to illustrate the narrative throughout.
As well as a thorough account of the pronunciation, grammar, vocabulary usage, and discourse patterns of Brunei English, the volume explores its historical and educational background and current developmental trends, providing an in-depth review of the patterns of English usage within this multilingual, oil-rich society on the north-western coast of Borneo. Written in a non-technical style throughout that will assist non-specialists wishing to grasp the fundamentals of this unique brand of the English language, the work is a worthy addition to Springer’s series on multilingual education that plugs a gap in the coverage of the numerous varieties of English being used across South East Asia.
“The authors bring renewed and badly needed attention to the long-overlooked development of Brunei English. Their examination of the variety not only documents the features and functions of English within Brunei society, it also suggests the development of regional or global varieties of English that extend beyond Brunei, and even beyond South East Asia.”
Andrew Moody, University of Macau
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-94-007-6347-0
- Copyright Information Springer Science+Business Media Dordrecht. 2013
- Publisher Name Springer, Dordrecht
- eBook Packages Humanities, Social Sciences and Law
- Print ISBN 978-94-007-6346-3
- Online ISBN 978-94-007-6347-0
- Series Print ISSN 2213-3208
- Series Online ISSN 2213-3216
- Buy this book on publisher's site