About this book
This book provides a comprehensive overview of remediation and rehabilitation techniques and strategies for contaminated and anthropogenically disturbed land.
Rehabilitation approaches in the urban environment, such as brownfield redevelopment and urban mining, are discussed.
In relation to contaminated land, techniques for soil containment and decontamination of soil, soil vapour and groundwater are comprehensively and systematically presented. Complicated treatment techniques are schematically depicted and can be readily understood.
The more traditional approaches, such as soil washing, bioremediation, and pump-and-treat, are introduced, but the younger fields of remediation, like phytoremediation, funnel-and-gate, and steam-enhanced extraction, are also taken into consideration.
Agricultural, silvicultural and environmentally sustainable rehabilitation strategies for reclaiming disturbed land/terrain in former mining or natural-resource extraction areas, such as open-cast mines, quarries, harvested peatlands, open-pit mines and subsided mining terrain (sinkholes), are introduced.
Since this book gives a complete and systematic overview of all types of soil, soil vapour and groundwater remediation techniques, as well as rehabilitation approaches for soils/terrain in mining areas, it will be a useful tool not only for universities and research institutes, but also for private consultants and public authorities engaged in the treatment of contaminated or disturbed land.
- Book Title Soil Remediation and Rehabilitation
- Book Subtitle Treatment of Contaminated and Disturbed Land
- Series Title Environmental Pollution
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-94-007-5751-6
- Copyright Information Springer Science+Business Media Dordrecht 2013
- Publisher Name Springer, Dordrecht
- eBook Packages Earth and Environmental Science Earth and Environmental Science (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-94-007-5750-9
- Softcover ISBN 978-94-007-9822-9
- eBook ISBN 978-94-007-5751-6
- Series ISSN 1566-0745
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XX, 408
- Number of Illustrations 0 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
Soil Science & Conservation
- Buy this book on publisher's site
From the reviews:“This clear, well-written book is a very complete, accurate, and up-to-date presentation on soil contamination and treatment. Meuser … begins by discussing the mounting problem of anthropogenic sources of solid waste and its composition, and how to dispose of it in landfills. … Useful diagrams and colored photographs of construction sites/methods are provided. … Meuser also covers treatment of contaminated groundwater. Diagrams are clear and well labeled throughout. Summing Up: Highly recommended. Graduate students through professionals/practitioners.” (A. S. Casparian, Choice, Vol. 51 (3), November, 2013)