About this book
Law, Order and Freedom gives an account of the history of Western legal and political philosophy, starting with the pre-Socratics and ending with Rawls. It examines in detail the development of the Enlightenment values of freedom and equality, the foremost principles of many present-day constitutions. The underlying ideal of individual autonomy, characteristic of modern times, has nevertheless been contested throughout its history. Against the background of this historical development, Law, Order and Freedom enquires further whether the modern Enlightenment values can serve as a foundation for law and society in the modern era where a great diversity of worldviews exists.
Law, Order and Freedom will be an invaluable resource for those with an interest in legal and political philosophy.
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-94-007-1457-1
- Copyright Information Springer Science+Business Media B.V. 2012
- Publisher Name Springer, Dordrecht
- eBook Packages Humanities, Social Sciences and Law
- Print ISBN 978-94-007-1456-4
- Online ISBN 978-94-007-1457-1
- Series Print ISSN 1572-4395
- Series Online ISSN 2215-0315
- Buy this book on publisher's site
- Industry Sectors