About this book
Deserts are unique ecosystems with their own biotic and abiotic components, and are often rich in renewable natural resources, the appropriate management of which can contribute significantly to the sustainable management of desert regions for the welfare of the people.
Yet while there are many books on the flora of the countries fringing the important desert countries of the Mediterranean and Red Seas, there or few books reporting on their ecophysiology and vegetation ecology. This book presents the vegetation types of the African and Asian countries of the Mediterranean and Red Sea coastal regions, and discusses the ecological threats and economic applications of these critical resources. In particular, it examines the relationships between climate and vegetation, and discusses these within the context of desertification, agro-industrial applications, ecotourism and sustainable development.
The book will provide a valuable reference for researchers and graduate students involved in plant ecology, biogeography, economic botany and environmental management in the Afro-Asian Mediterranean and Red Sea coastal regions, as well as other desert regions around the world.
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title Climate - Vegetation
- Book Subtitle Afro-Asian Mediterranean and Red Sea Coastal Lands
- Series Title Plant and Vegetation
- Series Abbreviated Title Plant,Vegetation
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-90-481-8595-5
- Copyright Information Springer Science+Business Media B.V. 2010
- Publisher Name Springer, Dordrecht
- eBook Packages Biomedical and Life Sciences Biomedical and Life Sciences (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-90-481-8594-8
- Softcover ISBN 978-94-007-3181-3
- eBook ISBN 978-90-481-8595-5
- Series ISSN 1875-1318
- Series E-ISSN 1875-1326
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XXII, 321
- Number of Illustrations 0 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
Climate Change/Climate Change Impacts
- Buy this book on publisher's site