Table of contents
About this book
Carlota S. Smith was a key figure in linguistic research and a pioneering woman in generative linguistics. This selection of papers focuses on the research into tense, aspect, and discourse that Smith completed while Professor of Linguistics at the University of Texas at Austin. Smith, who died in 2007, was a trailblazer in her field whose broad interests fed into her scholarly research.
Selected by Carlota Smith herself and by her longtime friends and colleagues, this book contains her 1980 piece on temporal structures in discourse, her 1986 comparison of the English and French aspectual systems, a 1996 paper on the aspect system in Navajo (an increasingly-endangered language which Smith worked to preserve), and her 1980 and 1993 papers on the child’s acquisition of tense and aspect.
The current volume of articles covers much of her most fruitful work on the way in which language is used to express time, and will be essential reading for many working and studying in linguistics generally and in semantics particularly.
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title Text, Time, and Context
- Book Subtitle Selected Papers of Carlota S. Smith
Richard P. Meier
- Series Title Studies in Linguistics and Philosophy
- Series Abbreviated Title Studies in Linguist.,Phil.
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-90-481-2617-0
- Copyright Information Springer Science+Business Media B.V. 2010
- Publisher Name Springer, Dordrecht
- eBook Packages Humanities, Social Sciences and Law Social Sciences (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-90-481-2616-3
- Softcover ISBN 978-94-007-3072-4
- eBook ISBN 978-90-481-2617-0
- Series ISSN 0924-4662
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages LXIV, 404
- Number of Illustrations 0 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
- Buy this book on publisher's site