Table of contents
About this book
This book seeks to answer the questions: how do the rules of international treaties on trade and investment apply to the new laws and policies relating to energy-related trade, and do the rules of the multilateral system contribute to or detract from sustainable development? An emerging set of new problems in the law of international trade is how to reconcile the rules of the multilateral trading system with shortages of certain natural resources and the necessity to develop renewable energy resources.
The chapters in this book provide a comprehensive analysis of the international trade issues presented by national trade laws and policies with regard to natural resources and energy. This book is about the extent to which we are interpreting existing rules to cover emerging problems and how the rules of the multilateral trading system can be adapted to achieve sustainable development in natural resources and energy.
The book begins with a survey of selected national laws relating to recent restrictions on the export of natural resources, both resources used to produce energy as well as natural resources essential for industrial production. After examining the range of such laws in selected important countries, we turn to the application of the rules of the multilateral trading system to such export restrictions. We discuss the major rules of the World Trade Organization (WTO) as well as the natural resources rules in selected regional preferential free trade agreements. While there is not a comprehensive global legal regime on competition law, we believe it is also important to examine how selected national competition laws impact export restrictions on natural resources.
This book will be a major contribution to the international dialogue on international economic law issues with respect to trade in natural resources and energy.
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title Emerging Issues in Sustainable Development
- Book Subtitle International Trade Law and Policy Relating to Natural Resources, Energy, and the Environment
Thomas J. Schoenbaum
- Series Title Economics, Law, and Institutions in Asia Pacific
- Series Abbreviated Title Economics, Law, and Institutions in Asia Pacific
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-4-431-56426-3
- Copyright Information Springer Japan 2016
- Publisher Name Springer, Tokyo
- eBook Packages Economics and Finance Economics and Finance (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-4-431-56424-9
- Softcover ISBN 978-4-431-56781-3
- eBook ISBN 978-4-431-56426-3
- Series ISSN 2199-8620
- Series E-ISSN 2199-8639
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XIX, 402
- Number of Illustrations 1 b/w illustrations, 2 illustrations in colour
International Economic Law, Trade Law
International Environmental Law
- Buy this book on publisher's site
- Industry Sectors