About this book
Throughout the past decade, the phenomenon of technological convergence has increasingly gained managerial attention. In this special form of technological change, the coming-together of previously distinct knowledge bases gives rise to the creation of new applications and business models. When such innovations emerge at the intersection of industries, the resulting creative destruction may exceed previously established industry boundaries. As a consequence, convergence does not only promise the creation of new value, but may imply significant disruptions to established industries. Based on investigating 26 firms within the ICT industry, this book highlights implications of the convergence phenomenon on firms’ innovation management practices, and derives strategic guidelines for building and sustaining business models beyond blurring industry boundaries.
"The book is very insightful with a number of eye-opening examples... and executives in this industry will gain a lot of highly valuable advice for their development of new business models."
Georg von Krogh, Professor of Strategic Management and Innovation, ETH Zürich
"...this book forces the reader to reconsider our thinking about the roles of industry and technology in innovation."
Gary Clayton, Vice President Speech Applications, Yahoo! Inc.
"This work provides deep insights on how to navigate through the process of convergence, and offers instrumental guidance"
Arup Gupta, Director Wireless Platform Technologies, Ultra Mobile Group, Intel Corp.
"...various analytical frameworks presented in this book provide a comprehensive basis for managerial decision-making."
Ari Backholm, Vice President Marketing & Product Management, Seven Networks Inc.
"This insightful and far-reaching study ... advances our collective understanding of convergence in innovation"
Mark Yolton, Vice President, SAP Community Network, SAP Labs, LLC
- Book Title Management of Convergence in Innovation
- Book Subtitle Strategies and Capabilities for Value Creation Beyond Blurring Industry Boundaries
- Series Title Contributions to Management Science
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-7908-1990-8
- Copyright Information Physica-Verlag Heidelberg 2008
- Publisher Name Physica-Verlag HD
- eBook Packages Business and Economics Business and Management (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-7908-1989-2
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-7908-2539-8
- eBook ISBN 978-3-7908-1990-8
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XVIII, 260
- Number of Illustrations 33 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
IT in Business
- Buy this book on publisher's site