About these proceedings
Disturbances of iron metabolism, particularly iron deficiency, are among the most commonly overlooked or misinterpreted diseases. This is due to the fact that the determination of transport iron in serum or plasma, which used to be the test in conventional diagnosis, does not allow a representative estimate of the body’s total iron reserves. A proper estimate was formerly possible only by the costly and invasive determination of storage iron in the bone marrow, however, sensitive, well-standardized immuno-chemical methods for the precise determination of the iron storage protein ferritin in plasma are now available. Since the secretion of this protein correctly reflects the iron stores in the majority of cases, these methods permit fast and reliable diagnosis, particularly of iron deficiency conditions. This book is intended to contribute to a better understanding of the main pathophysiological foundations and diagnostic principles.
Hematology Hämatologie Labor-Medizin Preventive Medicine Präventivmedizin Sportmedizin Sports Medicine anemia blood bone marrow ferritin klinische Chemie laboratory medicine metabolism plasma
- Book Title Clinical Aspects and Laboratory Iron Metabolism, Anemias
- Book Subtitle Novel concepts in the anemias of malignancies and renal and rheumatoid diseases
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-7091-3719-2
- Copyright Information Springer-Verlag Vienna 2003
- Publisher Name Springer, Vienna
- eBook Packages Springer Book Archive
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-211-00695-5
- eBook ISBN 978-3-7091-3719-2
- Edition Number 5
- Number of Pages X, 219
- Number of Illustrations 98 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
- Additional Information 4th edition published with the title " Iron Metabolism, Anemias. Diagnosis and Therapy"
- Buy this book on publisher's site