About this book
This book discusses the application of the coupled CFD-DEM approach for simulating the separation of grain and material other than grain in combine harvester cleaning devices. Based on a literature study, it describes the most important influencing factors and presents a database for particle parameterization. It investigates the separation process in two steps with differing levels of process abstraction. The first step involves numerical separation in a vertically oscillating box with airflow, and in the context of a sensitivity study, investigates the effect of selected material, contact and operating parameters on the target variables’ separation time and grain purity. In the second step, the numerical separation process was performed in a 200 mm wide segment of a combine harvester cleaning device. The numerical results were then compared with experimental investigations in order to confirm the method’s applicability.
Christian Korn studied Mechanical Engineering at the Technical University of Dresden and has been a Research Assistant at the Chair of Agricultural Systems and Technology since 2010.
Combine cleaning device Separation process Simulation CFD-DEM Particle modeling
- Book Title Application of coupled CFD-DEM simulation to separation process in combine harvester cleaning devices
- Series Title Fortschritte Naturstofftechnik
- Series Abbreviated Title Fortschr. Naturstofftech.
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-662-61638-3
- Copyright Information The Editor(s) (if applicable) and The Author(s), under exclusive license to Springer-Verlag GmbH, DE, part of Springer Nature 2020
- Publisher Name Springer Vieweg, Berlin, Heidelberg
- eBook Packages Engineering Engineering (R0)
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-662-61637-6
- eBook ISBN 978-3-662-61638-3
- Series ISSN 2524-3365
- Series E-ISSN 2524-3373
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XX, 191
- Number of Illustrations 106 b/w illustrations, 21 illustrations in colour
Computer-Aided Engineering (CAD, CAE) and Design
Engineering Fluid Dynamics
Theoretical, Mathematical and Computational Physics
- Buy this book on publisher's site