Philanthropic Foundations in Higher Education
Comparative Perspectives from the United States and Germany
- 481 Downloads
Janina Mangold uncovers the contributions of philanthropic foundations in higher education in Germany and the USA. Considering the three regime classifications of Varieties of Capitalism, Three Worlds of Welfare Capitalism, and Social Origins Theory, she examines the role and positioning of German and American higher education foundations vis-à-vis state and market actors in contemporary society. On the basis of both qualitative and quantitative data, she then develops urgent policy recommendations for foundations, higher education, and governments.
Contents• Varieties of Capitalism, Three Worlds of Welfare Capitalism, Nonprofit Regime Types
• Foundations in Corporatist Germany
• Foundations in the Liberal US
• Foundations in Light of Regime and Foundation Models
• Students and instructors of social and political science, researchers interested in acquiring third-party funds
• Research managers and administrators at higher education institutions and research institutes, professionals working in higher education governance
After completing her doctoral studies at the Hertie School of Governance in Berlin, Janina Mangold advises researchers at the Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität Munich, Germany, on how to gain third-party funding.