About this book
This book presents beautiful photos of mathematical models of geometric surfaces made from a variety of materials including plaster, metal, paper, wood, and string. The construction of these models at the time (of Felix Klein and others) was not an end in itself, but was accompanied by mathematical research especially in the field of algebraic geometry. The models were used to illustrate the mathematical objects defined by abstract formulas, either as equations or parameterizations. In the second part of the book, the models are explained by experts in the field of geometry.
This book is a reprint thirty years after the original publication in 1986 with a new preface by Gert-Martin Greuel. The models have a timeless appeal and a historical value.
Prof. Dr. Gerd Fischer, Department of Mathematics, Technical University of Munich
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-658-18865-8
- Copyright Information Springer Fachmedien Wiesbaden GmbH 2017
- Publisher Name Springer Spektrum, Wiesbaden
- eBook Packages Mathematics and Statistics
- Print ISBN 978-3-658-18864-1
- Online ISBN 978-3-658-18865-8
- Buy this book on publisher's site